How to apply
There are two ways to pursue a PhD with us:
Funded PhD programmes – if selected, you are provided with a fully funded PhD and do not need to apply separately for funding.
PhD in Clinical Biochemistry – you need to identify a research group who agrees to host you for your PhD, be admitted by the Department of Clinical Biochemistry and secure funding.
Funded PhD programmes
Many of our PIs are affiliated to various PhD programmes providing fully-funded PhD studentships.
All applications are made through the applicant portal.
Each programme has their own deadline, eligibility criteria and for some you might need to select a project from a list of preselected projects. More information on some of these is available on the following websites:
- Doctoral Training Programme in Medical Research (DTP-MR)
- PhD Programme for Health Professionals – now recruiting for 2024 intake. Application deadline: 2 November, 12:00 noon
- MRC iCase Programme (with industry partners)
- BBSRC DTP Programmes
- Cambridge 4-Year BHF PhD Programme in Cardiovascular Research
- MRC Epidemiology Unit PhD Programme
- AstraZeneca-Funded Non-Clinical PhD studentships
Applicants are strongly advised to make a separate application for a PhD in Clinical Biochemistry (see below).
PhD in Clinical Biochemistry
You can also apply to a PhD in Clinical Biochemistry using the following process:
- Before applying, contact research groups working in areas you’re interested in.
- Attach a CV and explain why you want to study with them. Some research groups also post details on available projects.
- After identifying a supervisor who agrees to host you for a PhD, apply formally using the Applicant Portal.
- To be successful, you will have to be selected by departmental postgraduate committee and secure funding, two independent processes.
More information about the requirements and admission process can be found in the course directory for the PhD in Clinical Biochemistry.
Applications without a predetermined supervisor will not be considered.
Use the Cambridge Funding Search to find out which type of funding you might be eligible for, and how and when to apply.
Funding applications are done through the funding section of the postgraduate application form via the Applicant Portal.
Check the University’s Graduate Admissions website for most up-to-date information.
We encourage you to specifically consider the following funding schemes and learn more through their website.
- The Cambridge Trust
- The Cambridge Home and EU Scholarship Scheme (CHESS) PhD Awards (UK and EU)
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship (non-UK)
- Cambridge Australia Scholarships
- Cambridge Trust Scholarships available for African applicants
Some funding schemes require additional forms to be uploaded during the application.
Please note, the deadlines for funding applications may be different to the course funding deadline.
Please note, PhDs can also be self-funded. Check finance requirements here.
For general enquiries, please contact our postgraduate administrator: Elizabeth MacRae (em430 at medschl.cam.ac.uk)