Our research involves developing cutting-edge analytical methods to measure specific metabolites, lipids and nutrients to further understand the role of metabolism in health and disease.
Techniques we use
- The comprehensive analysis of metabolites (metabolomics) and lipids (lipidomics) in biological samples.
- The development and application of LC-MS methods for the measurement of small molecules.
- Lipidomics and metabolomics data analysis and interpretation.
- Development of approaches for novel samples types for lipid and metabolite profiling.
- Providing training in lipidomics and metabolomics
- The development of single cell lipidomics
- Comprehensive quantitative lipid profiling of plasma and tissue samples.
- The development of Lipid Traffic analysis.
- Metformin measurement in plasma and tissue samples.
- Mocciaro G, D’Amore S, Jenkins B, Kay R, Murgia A, Herrera-Marcos LV, Neun S, Sowton AP, Hall Z, Palma-Duran SA, Palasciano G, Reimann F, Murray A, Suppressa P, Sabbà C, Moschetta A, Koulman A, Griffin JL, Vacca M. Lipidomic Approaches to Study HDL Metabolism in Patients with Central Obesity Diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. Int J Mol Sci. 2022 Jun 17;23(12):6786.
- Pantaleao LC, Inzani I, Furse S, Loche E, Hufnagel A, Ashmore T, Blackmore HL, Jenkins B, Carpenter AAM, Wilczynska A, Bushell M, Koulman A, Fernandez-Twinn DS & Ozanne SE (2022) Maternal diet-induced obesity during pregnancy alters lipid supply to mouse E18.5 fetuses and changes the cardiac tissue lipidome in a sex-dependent manner. Elife 11: e69078
- Hufnagel A, Fernandez-Twinn DS, Blackmore HL, Ashmore TJ, Heaton RA, Jenkins B. Koulman A, Hargreaves IP, Aiken CE & Ozanne SE (2022) Maternal but not fetoplacental health can be improved by metformin in a murine diet-induced model of maternal obesity and glucose intolerance. J Physiol 600: 903-919.
Our highlight publication
Early life metabolism is driven by nutrition and in-utero exposure.
Our work shows that differences in metabolism and response to nutrition correlate with the risk of later life weight gain and body composition.
van Beijsterveldt IALP, Myers PN, Snowden SG, Ong KK, Brix S, Hokken-Koelega ACS, Koulman A. Distinct infant feeding type-specific plasma metabolites at age 3 months associate with body composition at 2 years. Clin Nutr. 2022 Jun;41(6):1290-1296.