IMS-MRL seminars are primarily for staff and invited guests. External events open to a wider audience are included where appropriate.
NB: Since the Covid-19 pandemic we are running the IMS-MRL Tuesday seminar series as hybrid events or online only via Zoom. Please check the events calendar for details.
The IMS-MRL seminar series: taking place weekly during term time, with occasional seminars from visiting scientists.
- External Research Seminars (on Tuesdays at 1.15pm – invited audience only); – sponsored by Astra Zeneca
- Internal ‘Research in Progress’ Seminars (on Tuesday at 1.15pm -staff only)
- Internal ‘Hot Topics’ and ‘Technical’ Seminars (on Thursday at 2.30pm) for 1st year PhD and post-graduate students)
- Mastering Academic Excellence in Metabolic Medicine (MAXIM), sponsored by Eli Lilly. (on Fridays at 1.15pm; sandwiches available from 1.00pm)
- This event has passed.
The Royal Society Scientific Meeting – Causes of obesity: theories, conjectures and evidence
October 17 @ 8:00 am - October 19 @ 5:00 pm
Royal Society Scientific Meeting
17-19 October 2022
Scientific discussion meeting organised by Professor John R Speakman FMedSci FRS, Professor Thorkild IA Sørensen, Dr Kevin D Hall and Professor David B Allison.
Obesity has been described by the WHO as the largest health threat facing mankind. Obesity is manifestly an issue of energy balance. Yet, there is surprisingly little consensus about why such energy imbalance develops. This meeting will include presentations by world experts on the plethora of ideas about the mechanisms underlying obesity, and hence how we may tackle it.
Speaker abstracts will be available closer to the meeting date. Meeting papers will be published in a future issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B.
Attending this event
This meeting is intended for researchers in relevant fields.
- Free to attend
- Both in person and online attendance will be available
- Limited places, advance registration essential
Enquiries: contact the Scientific Programmes team