Current work and interests
My research focuses on the use of new technologies to improve outcomes for people with diabetes. We apply automated insulin delivery (closed-loop) systems to improve the safety of people with diabetes in the acute hospital setting. I undertake randomised controlled trials to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a fully closed-loop approach for people with type 2 diabetes both as inpatients and in an outpatient setting. We also investigate the impact of hybrid closed-loop systems in children and adults with type 1 diabetes, and the role of ultra-rapid insulins to enhance the performance of automated insulin delivery.
To broaden access to technology and improve outcomes, I have developed educational tools for healthcare professionals and patients to get the most out of diabetes technologies and ultimately to support adoption and reimbursement.
Background and experience
My early experience in research was doing a basic science PhD during my medical training at Imperial College London as part of an MBBS/PhD programme. I investigated the role of novel neuropeptides in energy homeostasis. After academic clinical jobs at the University of Oxford and King’s College London, I took some time out of my clinical training programme for research in diabetes technology at the IMS-MRL with Professor Roman Hovorka. I currently work as a Clinical Lecturer with 50% of my time doing research and 50% of my time doing clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes.
Working at the IMS-MRL
My current research focuses on the role of a fully closed-loop system for people with type 1 diabetes to reduce diabetes management burden. I have also been awarded funding from NIHR EME programme to investigate the role of closed-loop systems in people living with cystic fibrosis related diabetes.
- Boughton CK, Allen JM, Ware J, Wilinska ME, Hartnell S, Thankamony A, et al. Closed-Loop Therapy and Preservation of C-Peptide Secretion in Type 1 Diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2022 Sep 8;387(10):882-893.
- Boughton CK, Hartnell S, Thabit H, Mubita WM, Draxlbauer K, Poettler T, et al. Hybrid closed-loop glucose control compared with sensor augmented pump therapy in older adults with type 1 diabetes: an open-label multicentre, multinational, randomised, crossover study. Lancet Healthy Longevity. 2022 Mar;3(3):e135-e142.
- Ware J, Allen JM, Boughton CK, Wilinska ME, Hartnell S, Thankamony A, et al. Randomized Trial of Closed-Loop Control in Very Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2022 Jan 20;386(3):209-219.
- Boughton CK, Tripyla A, Hartnell S, Daly A, Herzig D, Wilinska ME, Czerlau C, Fry A, Bally L, Hovorka R. Fully automated closed-loop glucose control compared with standard insulin therapy in adults with type 2 diabetes requiring dialysis: an open-label, randomized crossover trial. Nat Med. 2021 Aug;27(8):1471-1476.
- Boughton CK, Bally L, Martignoni F, Hartnell S, Herzig D, Vogt A, et al. Fully closed-loop insulin delivery in inpatients receiving nutritional support: a two-centre, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019 May;7(5):368-377.