Increasing understanding and awareness of our research to a wide audience is an important part of our mission.
We have a thriving public engagement programme that involves everyone at the MRL, from professors to PhD students. In addition to our contributions to key events listed to the left, our investigators take part in a range of activities. Since 2013 we have:
- Participated in over 70 external events, reaching over 6.5K members of the public
- Reached wider audiences through TV, radio, exhibits and online activity
- Received consistently positive feedback, including one of the top scores from the 2016 Cambridge Science Festival (independent evaluation)
- 8 public debates or Q&A sessions, including ‘What’s the right diet for me’ debate
- 6 activities contributing to policy development, including a presentation and Q&A session with an all-party parliamentary group on medical research
- 10 stands or open days, including ‘Fun lab’ at the Cambridge Big Weekend and an Open Day for the MRC Centenary Celebrations.
Our scientists have also been involved in other events such as cafe scientifique, Pint of Science, Science show-off and the Cheltenham Festival, have made school visits and offered work experience placements and have been involved in events and focus groups aimed at patients and carers.
In the news
Prof Sadaf Farooqui appears on Radio 4’s The Life Scientific, in conversation with Jim Al-Khalil.
Dr Giles Yeo and Prof Fiona Gribble present BBC Horizon programmes: